jdkfjkdjfkd fdk jdkfjdk djk 

THE PLOUGH 15th Nov 2018 at 8 PM

  • Apologies for absence 
  • Minutes of previous AGM 
  • Retirement of members of the committee 
  • Election of officers 
  • Review of accounts 
    • Including fundraising for road safety measures 
  • Review of road safety measures
    • Flashing signs
    • H lines
    • Keepers Lane junction (paths/new MVAS/wildflower planting) 
  • New playground equipment 
  • School parking area on the common 
  • Green walkway 
  • HS2 update 
  • Neighbourhood watch (Guest speaker – Paul McConnell) 
  • Fly tipping 
  • Annual litter pick 
  • Flagpole / seats 
  • Facebook page / HHVS website 
  • AOB


Committee Members:  Stephen Burke (Chairman), Keith Glasspoole, Roy North, Andrew Cordiner, George Thackray, Chas Manson, Eric Clark, Steve Bates, Keith Jones (Andrew Creighton absent).

Members (as recorded on attendance sheet): Mary Collins, Linda Drummond, Anna Horan, Sue Rayne, Tony Rayne, Archie McNair, Jill Bowman, Sue Flint, Ron Flint

Walid Marzouk was also present

Keith Hoffmeister from the Chilterns Society was welcomed as a visiting guest. 

Stephen indicated that local district and county councillors, Diana Varley and Patricia Birchley, were not present – and that he would pass on questions on CDC to Diana, (in his role as Parish Councillor).

Stephen noted the repairs on Keepers Lane and Brays Green Lane, (18 months after they were first reported), complaints about potholes/roads should be addressed to Bucks CC.

1. Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes of previous AGM, held 24/1/17, were approved

2. Matters Arising

No matters arising

3. Ratification of co-opted members of the Committee

Keith Jones was ratified as a co-opted member of the HHVS Committee, in his role as vice-Chairman and now Chairman of the Village Hall.

The idea being to bring together groups with shared interest in village life.

Stephen expressed thanks to Walid Marzouk

4. Retirement of members of the Committee

George Thackray, Steve Bates and Andrew Cordiner resigned and were re-elected according to the constitution. 

Stephen encouraged others to join the committee, (particularly women since there are none on the committee at present). There were no further volunteers but all are welcome to future committee meetings, (dates for which will be communicated in due course). 

George Thackray has retired as treasurer, Stephen thanked him for his work.

In accordance with the constitution, the committee has appointed a treasurer from amongst their number, Roy North.

5. Finance

An end of year balance for 2016 of £576.74 was recorded with little change year on year. These were approved.

It was reported that sufficient cash had since been raised to meet current commitments relating to road safety, etc, but that all donations were gratefully received. 

6. Ray Challinor memorial bench

It had been agreed earlier in the year to install a bench in the memory of the former HHVS chairman, in recognition of his tireless work for the village, to which Stephen paid tribute. Funds had been raised within the Committee.

Wording agreed was:

Raymond E Challinor (born 26th April 1936, died 7th February 2017).  Indefatigable initiator and motivator for the welfare of Hyde Heath village.

Placement on Common Land means that it requires agreement from David Stowe at CDC – who is hard to reach – but finally gave agreement to proceed in October. Quotes for installation are being sourced from Amersham and Chesham town councils, so installation should proceed shortly.

7. Road safety measures

-          Flashing signs

Flashing 20MPH signs have been arranged via Little Missenden Parish Council, with involvement from the School governors. It falls under the Local Area Forum – (no longer fully funded by Transport for Bucks). Local area has to raise 50% of the funds, (c. £5000) – this has been raised, and was submitted to Transport for Bucks in July. TfB subsequently delayed the project three times, (other locations are experiencing similar delays on equivalent projects), but it is now confirmed in writing by them that the project will start in December and finish in January. 

The lights will flash at key times. Stephen thanked all contributors, in particular the Village Shop and Rayners. 

Sue Rayne thanked Stephen for his efforts, on behalf of the School governing body.

-          White lines

So-called “H” lines to discourage parking in front of homes near the Common and School, to create better visibility for crossing the road, and allow access to houses and to Rayners, (which now has more residents who drive). 

Stephen submitted request to TfB in late August, no response despite repeated chasing. Patricia Birchley has been asked to intervene, and she has promised to escalate with the relevant councillor. 

-          Green walkway (near school)

The path from the bus stop to the school was installed under the Local Area Forum a few years ago, at a fee of £4500. It was not levelled on installation, and quickly becomes muddy, so is rarely used. Requests have been made to make improvements, being progressed via Diana Varley.

-          New green walkway (Keepers Lane / Weedon Hill junction)

This relates to the location where children congregate to catch school buses, where there is no hard standing or path. Discussed within HHVS Committee as an appropriate project for this year’s Local Area Forum funding, with the idea of making the area safer. 

A proposal was submitted to the Local Area Forum, they have suggested an alternative proposal, moving the bus to within the white gates, and creating a bus stop with clearer sight lines. 

It was the only project put forward for LMPC area, so was “adopted” – may not happen as there will be other projects in Bucks CC area, but since it relates to safeguarding children it will be seen as having a high relative importance and a reasonable chance of success. Joint funding by the village may again be necessary.

        -     Permanent Vehicle Activated Sign

Donations have been secured to fund an additional sign at the Amersham end of the village – a request has been submitted with an answer promised by TfB (shortly).

A question was raised about the existing sign on the common and the fact that it doesn’t indicate speed in the way that the mobile signs which circulate around the borough do. Discussion around the fact that mobile signs have batteries which need to be replaced incurring cost. The only design available for a permanent sign was that stipulated by TfB.

7. Dog waste bins

The Litter Pick in Spring highlighted that where the path into the woods runs off Chalk Lane, people are leaving waste bags in trees or throwing them on to hedges. 

LMPC agreed to install dog bins at each end of the wood, they are being well used. Initially CDC refused to empty them as they had not been bought from them, Diana Varley has successfully challenged this. 

8. Playground equipment

The Cantilever Swing had been taken out of commission because of a split in the wooden pole. A new pole has been installed with agreement of LMPC. 

Stephen B reported that as Chair of Open Spaces on LMPC, the plan was to install new play surface, (rubber tarmac), and a new piece of play equipment, in the course of next year, as well as cutting back nearby trees.

9. Fly tipping 

Eric Clark is responsible for reporting fly tipping – if you see anything, report to flytipping@hhvs.org.uk.

Incident involving restaurant waste dumped from a stolen van highlighted area of confusion regarding responsibility of different councils – at the side of the road it is CDC, on the road it is TfB. 

10. Litter 

Chas indicated that the Litter Pick, held after Easter, had been very successful – another will be planned for the same time next year, with notices put out a month before asking for volunteers.

Stephen reported that LMPC are carrying out a litter bin survey, with the aim of moving existing bins to more useful locations if necessary. Good locations to be reported to Stephen.

11. HS2

Andrew C will place his detailed notes on the HHVS website, but in brief:

-          There is an independent construction commissioner – go to him if they can’t help you on helpline

-          Enabling works contract – taking individual sites e.g. Annie Baileys vent shaft – to clear site, prepare for main works. Likely to start March or June next year. This will be basic work, relatively unobtrusive, with an obligation to keep mud off roads.  

-          Main track work – tranches C1 (Colne Valley to South Heath) and C2 (South Heath to

Brackley). C1 is closest to Hyde Heath.  Main contractor is “Align”, with engineer called David Eades, who has been very frank on the challenges faced, following ground investigation works. These highlighted that the issues that they’d been warned about do indeed exist –

e.g. fractured chalk – with danger of draining Shardeloes Lake, Misbourne chalk stream etc. Environment Agency have indicated they will only give go ahead if no risk to the aquifer, so earliest works can start is April 2019, (later in 2019 more likely).

-          “Limit of deviation” in the act of parliament means they can only move 3m left or right – they can go further down, but cannot go upwards, (i.e decide not to tunnel). It may be they decide to tunnel  deeper/further. 

-          Ground works will move from site to site, so there will be 3 month periods with lots of activity, then relative inactivity, through to 2025.

-          Significant transport disruption is expected, with BCC having identified 73 high risk junctions including Little Missenden vent shaft, (bottom of Pipers Wood “unnamed road”). 

-          HS2 not willing to admit risks on junctions, or other issues such as ratrunning or displacement of traffic – since if they do they will have to deal with it. 

-          Petition to Parliament can be signed here – to raise parliamentary debate.


Petition: Cancel HS2 immediately and repeal the 2013 and 2017 High Speed Rail Acts.

HS2 is a vanity project, lobbied for by the firms who will make billions out of building it, at a time of continued austerity and cuts to essential services. Independent economists, rail experts and environmentalists have all heavily criticised the project, but Governments have refused to listen. Petition to Parliament - please sign here


Our guest speaker from the Chilterns Society gave a talk on the impact of HS2 in the Chilterns, highlighting where viaducts, construction compounds and access roads will be built. 

Key points locally

-          Tunnel at Amersham vent shaft, (Whielden Street) – will be 46m deep. 

-          Engineering works for 2 years and 9 months from 2018, then railway construction works for 2 years starting 2023. 

-          Difficult challenge to dig out vent shafts under water table. 

-          All spoil will be placed in nearby field. 

-          Access to M25 via A413 or A355 – implied up to 100 HGVs and 100 smaller vehicles per day -      “Headhouse” building designed to fit local environment

-          Another vent shaft at Pipers Wood, where route will climb very steeply to exit tunnel beyond South Heath. 

-          Constuction compound of small single-storey buildings will exist for 6 years.

-          Further shaft at Annie Baileys, (around which many houses are now owned by HS2).

-          North portal beyond Frith Hill – temporary haul road down to Great Missenden roundabouts. 

-          New link road being constructed from Bekonscot junction across to M40. 

-          Possible funds for a cycleway

-          Construction work will take place 8-6 Monday-Friday, 8-1 Saturday, with tunnelling 24-7.

-          Operating hours on the railway will be 5-midnight in the week, 8-midnight weekends, with overnight maintenance. 14-18 trains in each direction per hour.

-          Follow HS2watch.org.uk for more information

12. AOB

It was asserted by an audience member that HHVS is responsible for maintenance of the flagpole – replacement of seats will be discussed at next committee meeting.

Stephen referred to the local plan on building, (requirement for Chiltern and South Bucks to have plan for building of new homes). In this area it will be in Holmer Green area near A404, (900 extra houses). There will be 15,000 in Aylesbury, hence our ongoing focus on traffic calming. 

The topic was raised of HHVS communication – we use email and occasional village drops. With better connection to the Village Hall we are also using the one-pager.

Dates of future meetings to be confirmed pending confirmation of availability of Chairman, and any planned refurbishment of the Plough function room. 

Addendum: Next Committee meeting – 1st February, the Plough, 8pm 



  • Apologies for absence
  • Minutes of meeting 24.1.17
  • Matters arising
  • Ratification of co-opted members of the Committee
  • Retirement of members of the Committee
  • Election of members of the Committee
  • Finance
  • Ray Challinor memorial bench
  • Road safety measures
    • Flashing signs
    • White lines
    • Green walkway (near school)
    • New green walkway (Keepers Lane / Weedon Hill junction)
  • Dog waste bins
  • Playground equipment
  • Fly tipping
  • Litter pick
  • HS2
    • Guest speaker (Keith Hoffmeister, Chilterns Society – “HS2 in the Chilterns”)
  • Any other business


Committee members: Andrew Creighton, Andrew Cordiner; Charles Manson, George
Thackray, Walid Marzouk as Stand-in Secretary and Stephen Burke as Stand-in Chairman

Apologies for absence from Steven Bates and Chairman Raymond Challinor. Apologies also
from Eric Clark and Keith Glasspoole

Members: Archie and Rosemary McNair, Jill Bowman, Mike Smith and Ron Stevens

County Councillor Tricia Birchley was welcomed as a visiting guest.

1- Minutes of the previous 2015 AGM were approved

2- Matters arising
George Thackray informed everyone that unfortunately RayChallinorhas been unwell. All
expressed their concernand wished Ray a speedy recovery.

3- Finance (George)
The December 2015 year-end balance was £ 577.

4- Election of Committee members (Stephen)
Charles Manson, Andrew Creighton and Walid Marzouk resigned. Charles and Andrew were
re-elected in accordance with the Constitution.
Due to being co-opted recently as a Councillor for Little Missenden Parish Council (Holmer
Green ward), Walid decided not to be re-elected to the committee in order to avoid any
potential conflict of interest. Walid agreed to continue working on the speed and parking
project.He will transfer responsibility fully by the end of March after discussion with
Stephen Burke on his return from holiday.

Change in Committee Officers:
New officers elected in absence are:
Keith Glasspoole elected as Secretary
Eric Clark elected as a Committee member
Steve Bates to continue as Webmaster,become responsible for Membership and to stepdown as Secretary

5- Village Group Membership (Walid)
Membership has grown nicely in 2016 and still significant potential awaits HHVS. Strong non organic growth can be achieved by talking to people and encouraging them to join

The Constitution says Membership is open to any individual or organisation interested in
promoting the Objects.The AGM supported a new policy to encourage Hyde Heath Village
Organisationsto become members and to nominate arepresentative to the Committee. So
far 3 organisations have been invited and nominated representatives:
Cricket Club: John Capper
Village Shop: Chris Sargeant
Village Hall: David Coulton

Members from the village suggested that HHVS should invite the WI.

6-HS2 (Andrew Cordiner [ACO])
A major danger resulting from the HS2 tunnel construction is damage to the underlying

ACO expressed a lot ofconcern over what appears to be a deliberate action by HS2 to
remove all liability from HS2 for the terrible design which they have put forward and
transfer it onto their contractors and Local Government, leaving them without any liability
for their actions. It is precisely why the HS2 CEO departed and why the HS2 Chairman is
desperate to depart! The liability for the inadequate design of this project is huge. This
strategy is unashamedly and implicitly in the wording in the Bill.

ACO has already advised Bucks CC that their officers, councillors and Executive are leaving
themselves open to criminal liability in addition to civil liability. The distinction is civil liability is covered by the council’s public liability insurance (albeit AQCO would argue that this is amodifiable event to their insurers - yet to be tested). The personal liability is criminal under the Corporate Manslaughter Act, and while there are exclusions, the law has been tested and does include persons of known mind operating in a public capacity if their actions are negligent or knowingly negligent.

Intensified Traffic issues associated with increasing traffic on single track sunken lanes as a
consequence of HS2 works would certainly be captured were there to be an incident. There
are a great many across Buckinghamshire and all authorities affected by the route of HS2.
The Council was warned that they are being placed and knowingly placing themselves in this position.

By stating and accepting that HS2 Ltd would not study certain roads as it is a remote
consequence of their works, the Council officers became responsible.

The Council is acting unwisely on this matter and accepting Qualifying Authority status will
force every taxpayer in Buckinghamshire to hold them criminally liable for actions of HS2 Ltd or HS2’s contractors!

ACO’s input [as always of the highest quality in terms of articulation, precision and clarity]
was noted and appreciated by County Councillor Tricia Birchley and those present. ACO’s
ongoing support for so many projects,including supporting little Missenden Parish Council, is highly appreciated and noted by the stand-in Chairman and all the members present –Thank you Andy.

Councillor Birchley reported that HS2 Ltd do not have an answer the impact of co9nstuction
traffic on the limited capacity of the A413, particularly in the light of the growing traffic
volumes journeying to and from Aylesbury.

7- Village issues
Speeding (Walid)
With the help of Parish/County Council coupled with strong support from Villagers and Hyde
Heath Village Organisations,the budget has been approved for a PVAS (permanent vehicle
activation system- otherwise known as a flashing slow down sign). The purchase will be
completed soon and installation shortly after.

Two units of School 20 MPH signs and lights as well as white lines on most of Weedon
Hill/Hyde Heath Road have been budgeted for. This has already been through so many
technical and bureaucratic approval loops that you could ever imagine and we are nearly

The final approval step will be presented at the LAF(Local Area Forum) meeting in March
which is chaired by County Councillor Tricia Birchley and LAF Vice Chairman Jeff Dominy
who is Chairman of Little Missenden Parish Council. We have their support and we are
optimistic that we will receive their approval but the final approval of the amount allocated
will depend on our ability to locally raise 50% (about £8,500).
Walid will be writing to Villagers and meeting with Village Organisations to raise funds.

Parking (Walid & Andy Cordiner)
Several options were considered and we finally opted for a request to release common land.
This is a complex and very long process of up to 2 years with some costs associated. But long term it is the only suitable solution if it receives approval.

A meeting has taken place with CDC planning and the process has commenced with informal discussion held between ACO and Open Space Society.

ACO commented that discussion with Open Space was useful and there may be a need to
add a community recreational element to the project to facilitate its passage.
The fact that the Cricket Club has a lease on part of the common may make it easier for
some use modification. It was agreed to draw up a plan and start public consultation.
[Franklin’s Yard is being used for the collection of garden waste, old furniture and cars] the
planning permit for Franlin’s yard only allows it to be used for building materials. Stephen
advised that LMPC needs to bring this to Diana Varley’s attention so that an enforcement
team is created.

Franklin’s Yard

Ron Stevens (a resident and HHVS member), has issues with parking on the dirt road by the school and the use of Franklin’sYard, which can no longer be considered as in keeping with the village.

Improving Mobile reception – Steve Bates
This is a new project suggested by Walid and agreed in principle by HVSS. As it is in Steve’s
area of expertise he is following up with BT and others but he was not available to report

8- Any Other Business

A draft Newsletter updating members will be prepared by Walid before the end of February

Litter Pick

A LitterPick 2017 was discussed and 22nd April 2017 set as thedate. Charles Manson is the
responsible organiser. Charles suggested that a second Litter Pick might be needed in


Caravan parked on a plot of land after Bullbaiters Lane [to the left] continues to frustrate
HHVS. This has gone one for more than two and a half years.Three consecutive people,
including Walid and Stephen, have not succeeded in making any progress
Due to the complete failure of CDC reinforcement department. The matter remains an open

Fly Tipping

Andrew Creighton reported that fly tipping continues on Chalk Lane near the railway bridge.
Stephen agreed to contact CDC for action (Clearance and a sign warningabout Fines)
The meeting ended at 9:30 PM without agreeing a date for the next meeting.Everyone
declaredmassive appreciation for everything that Ray has done for the village over many
years, to the extent that at one stage the local papers called him Father of Hyde
Heath.Everyone wishes Ray a speedy recovery and to see him back chairing HHVS.
WM 6 Feb 2017

An Open Meeting of Little Missenden Parish Council will take place on Monday 4th September, at the Hyde Heath Village Hall. All residents are welcome.

Dear Hyde Heath resident,

We are pleased to provide an update of the latest news from Hyde Heath Village Society (HHVS). As many of you will already be aware, the purpose of the society is to address issues which affect Hyde Heath and its residents. This update outlines the latest opportunities for you to get involved, help and support the society with its work.

Ray Challinor

Unfortunately, we need to start with sad news. In February, our chairman Ray Challinor passed away. 

Ray was very active on behalf of the village in many areas. He was the driving force behind the village shop and gave many years of service to the preschool. He will be greatly missed.

HHVS is purchasing a memorial bench for Ray. This will be located near the school, by the tree which has been planted to celebrate the Queen’s birthday. We hope you will agree that this will be a fitting tribute to Ray and his work.

Road safety

With the planned expansion of Aylesbury and the building of HS2, the A413 will become even more congested. As a result, it is likely that Hyde Heath Road and Weedon Hill will be used more and more as a rat run. In addition, you may have noticed that the land next to Jewson in Hyde End has been cleared. A transport company is hoping to have a warehouse complex built on this site, which is likely to mean more large vehicles coming through the village. In the context of these challenges, HHVS has been working with Little Missenden Parish Council and Transport for Bucks (TfB), on a speeding and parking plan to improve road safety in the village. We hope you have seen the Permanent Vehicle Activated Sign (PVAS) – speed sign - on the village green.

The sign is stage one in the speeding and parking plan, and we would like to thank outgoing HHVS committee member Walid Marzouk for his hard work, energy and dedication in getting us this far, (see personal note from Walid below). HHVS is now discussing with TfB the installation of another PVAS at the Amersham end of the village, along with better signs and road markings to protect the school children and the residents at Rayners.  Whilst TfB has covered some of the cost for the first PVAS, we need to raise additional funds to progress to these next stages of the plan. Our ongoing fundraising will contribute towards this, but additional personal contributions would be very welcome.

If you would like to make an additional contribution towards our goal of making Hyde Heath safer, please email Stephen Burke at roads@hhvs.org.uk to make your pledge. We suggest that this would also be a very appropriate tribute to the memory of Ray. So far over £12,600 has been pledged towards the costs of these measures.  Nearly £8875 further is needed to complete the planned works.

School car parking

In addition to the speed reduction measures and safety signs, there is also a requirement to improve the parking around the school - following a dangerous incident last year while a child was crossing the road.

To this end, the village society have discussed with the school the idea of installing green parking (e.g. Grasscrete) on the green space immediately outside the school. This would not be a permanent car park, simply a temporary parking space for people dropping off or collecting from school. The idea is to prevent irregular parking and better preserve the common land. It would also allow parents to park off the busy main road, and therefore avoid the need to cross with young children.

The design would be flexible, potentially taking the form of up to 15 spaces immediately outside the school. We are conscious that this is something many residents of Hyde Heath have requested for some time, but we would like to hear from anyone who might object to such an idea, in particular anyone who lives close to the school. We would also like to hear of alternative ideas to address this problem, or road safety in the village in general.

Fly tipping

HHVS monitors incidences of fly tipping around the village, and lobbies for measures to discourage it, such as CCTV warning signs. If you come across any fly tipping, please report it to Eric Clark at flytipping@hhvs.org.uk.

Dates for your diary

Monday 4th September: Open meeting of Little Missenden Parish Council at the Village Hall

Saturday 13th May: Village Fete

Saturday 22nd April: Village Litter Pick Meet at the flagpole at 10am. Bring strong gloves if you have them. Refreshments provided!

A personal note from Walid Marzouk

As many of you would know, a few months ago I become a Parish Councillor for Holmer Green, which meant that to avoid any potential conflict of interest I decided to resign from being a member of the HHVS executive committee. I also wanted to stay on long enough to see the Speeding and Parking project moving to a satisfactory situation to be handed over.

Road safety has started to improve with the first PVAS now installed on the Green and 50% funds have already been agreed by the Local Area Forum for flashing school 20 mph signs. With your generous donations, some of which were genuinely overwhelming, and another push by our Hyde Heath councillors at parish and county level, I am more than confident that they will deliver on our key promises soon.

Parking is much more complex however, after positive discussions and meetings with the council we now know what to do and how. The process requires the council to release common land which may need parliamentary consent. This is possible if we obtain a green light from the Open Space Society and full village support after transparent consultation.  

Short term we have made some progress with direct involvement by our very sadly missed former Chairman Ray Challinor, holding discussions between Barnardo’s and the Chapel to revive a parking agreement which allows them to park at the Chapel rather than Weedon Hill. Also it is hoped that special white line measures will further restrict parking and calm traffic.

All this is very slow through the heavily bureaucratic council administration but it would have been impossible without strong efforts by Hyde Heath councillors Danny and Stephen, support from the local Thames Valley Police and Bucks County Council, so thank you to all of those. The last and biggest thanks goes to the villagers who helped at committees, actively participated at council and HHVS meetings making it clear that determination to fix the problem will not waver coupled with the generous donations of many, making it possible. Thank you. 

The Hyde Heath Village Society AGM is rescheduled to take place on Thursday November 23rd 2017, in the Village Hall, with an 8pm start.

This has been rescheduled, due to the refurbishment of the The Plough.

The full agenda will be confirmed closer to the date, but expects to include issues around road safety and parking.

The Hyde Heath Village Society AGM will take place this week on Thursday 26th November 2015 at 8pm at The Plough (in the room out the back).

We will be discussing various issues, including speeding, parking on pavements, and HS2.

Hyde Heath Village Society would like to make a request for volunteers to help, in particular with the HS2 working party, which is currently the most critical issue affecting our village.

All offers of help are welcome, from an offer of occasional ad-hoc assistance, to joining a working party.

It can simply be an general offer to help, such as:

  • delivery of flyers.
  • proof reading letters and other communication.
  • help with occasional environmental tasks, such as strimming at the Keepers Lane/Weedon Hill junction, or repairing grass verges.
  • help organising events such as the litter pick.
  • being on a list of volunteers, to assist with ad-hoc tasks.

Please contact us, with any offers of help via the Contact Us page